Difference between revisions of "Category:Neighborhood, Wheaton Woods"
(→History: clarify Bauer, link to library and Bradford's Rest)
(add category history, development)
|Line 42:||Line 42:|
Revision as of 00:14, 5 June 2009
Wheaton Woods is a neighborhood in Aspen Hill. It is characterized by Single Family Detached Residential houses generally built in the early-to-mid 1950s.
Wheaton Woods generally describes most of Aspen Hill that was built before 1959. It is generally centered along the north-south axis of Parkland Drive.
Perhaps you would like a map?
Wheaton Woods is bisected by the north-south route of Parkland Drive. The only route in or out to the east is Independence Street. Many smaller streets exit onto Aspen Hill Road, which is one of the major boundaries of this neighborhood.
Most of the houses in the southern part of Wheaton Woods were built in the early 1950s; many of the homes near the southern end of Parkland Drive show build dates of 1952.
On February 18, 1904, one John W Lucas purchased "a part of Hermitage" which is now the site of the St Judes Catholic School, from trustees. In 1924, that land passed to one Marcella Hogan and her husband, and on June 20th, 1935 to one Louise E Goebel. Somehow the property came into the hands of one D. E. Powell and was conveyed to June 24, 1953, to one William Robinowitz (liber 1813, folio 226).
On April 7, 1932, one Loretta Lynch ("unmarried") received title to lots 10-15 in block 4 of "Rosedale Park" (plat book 1, folio 92). This included much of the lands that lay east of Parkland Drive along the Turkey Branch.
On July 18, 1938, one Christian G. Hurlebaus died intestate. He had previously bought a parcel of land described as lying within the tract of "Bradford's Rest" on June 5, 1905 as mentioned in liber 182 folio 246, that parcel having first been in the hands of William G and Georgia C Eimer. Also mentioned are a February 6, 1866 transfer from one John H Sartholf to John Cassell and others. Additionally, other land (liber 382, folio 124)had been acquired from Carl C and Freida R Braun on August 12, 1925. On May 2, 1941, ownership of these parcels (49.39 and 25.96 acres, respectively) was transferred to Clarence W and Gretchen L Bauer. This included land that is now the site of the Aspen Hill Library.
Examination of Plat maps obtained from the Maryland State Archives turns up the following names that figured in the early history and development of Wheaton Woods (and often in many other development histories):
Louise E. Goebel, Elias Gelman, Estelle S Gelman, Melvin Gelman, Louis Denit(liber 1406 folio 16), C. H. Conger, Nathan Goodman (including liber 1058, folio 84), William & Stella Robinowitz (Robindale), Floyd J & Betty R Collins & William A & Virginia R Koier (Frankfort Court).
The following corporations were involved in the development of Wheaton Woods:
Woodlawn Land Company, Inc (of Washington, DC, Elias Gelman, President, Melvin Gelman, Secretary, Vivian E Matey, Asst Scty), Capital Mortgage Corporation (of Illinois, Robert Kramer, President, Walter Kilikowski, Scty), Donley Contruction Co., Inc (of Maryland, Donald E Gingery, President, Mary R Gingery, Scty), (Aspin Hill Construction Co, Inc. (the Gingery family), William N and Anita B Cafritz (CAF Land Homes, Inc), Southbrook Building Company, Inc (of Maryland, Thor Ringstrom, President, Cathryn V Mitchell, Scty).
Wheaton Woods Local Park is located at the center of the neighborhood.
This category has the following 4 subcategories, out of 4 total.
Pages in category "Neighborhood, Wheaton Woods"
The following 9 pages are in this category, out of 9 total.