Category:Subdivision, Wheaton Woods

From Aspen Hill, Maryland, USA
Jump to: navigation, search

Wheaton Woods is a subdivision in Aspen Hill. It is characterized by Single Family Detached Residential houses generally built around 1958-1963.

Wheaton Woods also is the name of a neighborhood, though the legal subdivision of Wheaton Woods extends beyond the bounds of what is thought of as the Wheaton Woods neighborhood.

Location

The Wheaton Woods subdivision is aligned along Parkland Drive and extends several blocks to each side of it along the entire length of the street. However, the Wheaton Woods neighborhood is generally considered to be south of Aspen Hill Road.

Housing Types

Below is a fairly typical home from the older parts of the subdivision.

P9210027.png

Perhaps you would like to see a very much larger version? (~5M).

History

Much of the land that would become Wheaton Woods was originally large farms. One such was the Cassell Tract, often referred to in deeds in the area, transferred on February 6, 1866 from one John H Sartholf to John Cassell and others. As time went by, this and comparable large tracts were sold, generally as smaller parcels of the original property.

On July 18, 1938, one Christian G. Hurlebaus died intestate. He had previously bought a parcel of land described as lying within the tract of "Bradford's Rest" on June 5, 1905 as mentioned in liber 182 folio 246, that parcel having first been in the hands of William G and Georgia C Eimer. Additionally, other land (liber 382, folio 124) had been acquired from Carl C and Freida R Braun on August 12, 1925. On May 2, 1941, ownership of these parcels (49.39 and 25.96 acres, respectively) was transferred to Clarence W and Gretchen L Bauer. This "Bauer Tract" included land that is now the site of the Aspen Hill Library. It is one of the few large remaining accessible green spaces in central Aspen Hill.

Other lands in and around the central part of Aspen Hill were aggregated near the end of the Second World War, and changed hands several times in September 1947, with one Gertrude Allison Doyle having aggregated a dozen or so smaller tracts into the so-called "Doyle Tracts", most of which eventually wound up in the hands of Elias Gelman, who was the original developer of Wheaton Woods into more or less the modern form.

On February 18, 1904, one John W Lucas purchased from trustees "a part of Hermitage" part of which is now the site of the St Jude Catholic School. In 1924, a part of that land passed to one Marcella Hogan and her husband, and on June 20th, 1935 to one Louise E Goebel. The Goebel Tract went on to be developed as the small subdivisions of Robindale and Royal View. Somehow a part of the property came into the hands of one D. E. Powell and was conveyed to June 24, 1953, to one William Robinowitz (liber 1813, folio 226), the developer of Robindale subdivision.

On April 7, 1932, one Loretta Lynch ("unmarried") received title to lots 10-15 in block 4 of "Rosedale Park" (plat book 1, folio 92). This included much of the lands that lay east of Parkland Drive along the Turkey Branch, which in older deeds is also referred to as "the Watery Branch".

Prominent Names

Examination of Plat maps obtained from the Maryland State Archives turns up the following names that figured in the early history and development of Wheaton Woods (and often in many other development histories):

Louise E. Goebel (Hermitage, liber 594, folio 271, Evanston Street & points west), Elias Gelman, Estelle S Gelman, Melvin Gelman, Louis Denit (liber 1406 folio 16), C. H. Conger (Hermitage, PBR 334, folio 445, lands at and east of Turkey Branch), Nathan Goodman (including liber 1058, folio 94 (motherlode of clue!), see Aspen Hill Park history), William & Stella Robinowitz (Robindale), Floyd J & Betty R Collins & William A & Virginia R Koier (Frankfort Court).

Prominent Corporations

The following corporations were involved in the development of Wheaton Woods:

Woodlawn Land Company, Inc (of Washington, DC, Elias Gelman, President, Melvin Gelman, Secretary, Vivian E Matey, Asst Scty), Capital Mortgage Corporation (of Illinois, Robert Kramer, President, Walter Kilikowski, Scty), Donley Contruction Co., Inc (of Maryland, Donald E Gingery, President, Mary R Gingery, Scty), (Aspin Hill Construction Co, Inc. (the Gingery family), William N and Anita B Cafritz (CAF Land Homes, Inc), Southbrook Building Company, Inc (of Maryland, Thor Ringstrom, President, Cathryn V Mitchell, Scty).

Important Deeds (Clues etc)

Liber 1104, folio 91 - lands near and around Aspen Hill Library, 1948, references to liber JA-4 folio 423 for 104 acres in Hermitage, also to liber 464 / 488 for 2 acres in Bradford's Rest, also to several other parcels, most becoming part of the Wheaton Woods subdivisions.

Liber 2018 folio 229 is a small standalone lot near the property of the Wheaton Woods Pool which evidently existed before the main development project started in the area.

Liber 1878 folio 100 gives clues about why Keating Street doesn't go all of the way from Parkland Drive to Iris Place. See the plat map (Plat 36, Wheaton Woods).

References

Plat Maps

Please see our Plat maps.


"Wheaton Woods, Plat One"; plat number 2739, filing date illegible (Bayne Court, Danvers Court, parts of Adrian Street, Bayne Street, Danvers Street, Parkland Drive). Refers to adjoining properties of Louise E Goebel and C H Conger.

"Wheaton Woods, Plat 2"; plat number 2470, filed February 2, illegible (Falcon Court, parts of Evanston Street, Falcon Street, Parkland Drive, Turkey Branch Parkway). Refers to adjoining properties of Louise E Goebel and C H Conger.

"Wheaton Woods, Plat 3"; plat number 2770, filed March 29, 1951 (Faroe Court, parts of Faroe Place, Grenoble Drive, Parkland Drive, Turkey Branch Parkway). Refers to adjoining property of C H Conger.

"Wheaton Woods, Plat 4"; plat number 2771, filed March 29, 1951 (parts of Evanston Street, Faroe Place, Falcon Court, Falcon Street, Freeland Road, Grenoble Drive, Parkland Drive). Refers (probably erroneously) to adjoining property of Louise E Goebel. Indicates 15-foot path. Shows location of 8.038 acre property eventually becoming the grounds of Wheaton Woods Elementary School.

"Wheaton Woods, Plat 5"; plat number 3003, filing date December 26, 1951 (Grenoble Court, parts of Evanston Street, Freeland Road, Glasgow Drive, Grenoble Drive, Parkland Drive).

"Wheaton Woods, Plat 6"; plat number 3004, filing date December 26, 1951 (Hallet Court, Hallet Street, parts of Evanston Street, Grenoble Drive, Hallet Place, Independence Street, Justice Road, Keating Street, Parkland Drive). Refers to adjoining property of Nathan Goodman.

"Wheaton Woods, Plat 7"; plat number 3005, filed December 26, 1951 (parts of Independence Street, Ives Street, Jupiter Street, Keating Street).

"Wheaton Woods, Plat 8"; plat number 3006, filed December 26, 1951 (parts of Ives Street, Jupiter Street, Justice Road, Parkland Drive).

"Wheaton Woods, Plat 9"; plat number 3065, filed March 13, 1952 (Kalmia Street, Keating Court, parts of Justice Road, Keating Street, Parkland Drive).

"Wheaton Woods, Plat 10"; plat number 3066, filed March 13, 1952 (parts of Aspen Hill Road, Grenoble Drive, Justice Road, Parkland Drive). Shows location of "historic Aspen Hill Road" as "existing 30-foot road. Shows locations of 4th, 5th lines of Liber 1104, folio 91. Shows location of "stone found" (southwest corner of the Cassell Tract).

"Wheaton Woods, Plat 11"; plat number 3067, filed March 13, 1952 (Aspen Hill Court, parts of Aspen Hill Road, Grenoble Drive, Justice Road, Iris Place, Iris Street).

"Wheaton Woods, Plat 12"; plat number 3243, filed September 23, 1952 (Harlan Street, parts of Aspen Hill Road, Iris Place, Kemper Street, ). Refers to adjoining property of Nathan Goodman. Shows location of "stone found" (along "West line of Hermitage"), shows location of another "stone found" (St John's Lutheran Church Stone).

"Wheaton Woods, Plat 15"; plat number 3434, filed June 8, 1953 (parts of Aspen Hill Road, Landgreen Street, Parkland Drive, stub of Renn Street). Shows location of contemporary Aspen Hill Road as "exist 30-foot road".

"Wheaton Woods, Plat 16"; plat number 3435, filed June 8, 1953 (parts of Frankfort Drive, Parkland Drive).

"Wheaton Woods, Plat 17"; plat number 3468, filed July 12, 1953 (Parkland Court, parts of "Niagara Street" (Heathfield Road), Oakvale Street, Parkland Drive). Notes pipes and monument found, these are markers of the eastern lines of part of Bradford's Rest.

"Wheaton Woods, Plat 14"; plat number 3603, filed January 25, 1954 (parts of Aspen Hill Road, Landgreen Street, Parkland Drive). 6-lot subdivision, "Housing Corporation of America".

"Wheaton Woods, Plat 18"; plat number 3604, filed January 25, 1954 (parts of Independence Street, Parkland Drive). 2-lot subdivision, "Housing Corporation of America", allowance for proposed Independence Street east of Parkland Drive.

"Wheaton Woods, Plat 19"; plat number 3797, filed January 25, 1954 (parts of Aspen Hill Road, Grenoble Drive, Jupiter Street, Kalmia Street, Keating Street, Judith Street). All lots on east side of Parkland Drive, south of Aspen Hill Road.

"Wheaton Woods, Robindale"; plat number 3984, filed March 8, 1955 (parts of Adrian Street, Grace Max Street, Viers Mill Road). Shows location of bounds between Wheaton Woods and the adjoining Robindale subdivision. 7-lot subdivision, William and Stella Robinowitz.

"Wheaton Woods, Correction Plat, Plat 19"; plat number 4558, file May 14, 1956 (parts of Aspen Hill Road, Grenoble Drive, Jupiter Street, Kalmia Street, Keating Street, Judith Street). All lots on east side of Parkland Drive, south of Aspen Hill Road.

"Wheaton Woods Swimming Pool Corporaton, Parcel A"; plat number 4803, filing date illegible (parts of Landgreen Street, Marianna Drive). "Parcel A", showing bounds with Aspen Knolls subdivision. Shows location of bounds with Earle Tract lands that would be developed later as the Bel Pre Woods subdivision. Shows location of a bounding plot of land as Liber 2018, folio 229.

"Wheaton Woods, Street Dedication"; plat number 5000, filed August 30, 1957 (Federal Court, Federal Street, parts of Elizabeth Street, Grenoble Drive, Hallet Street, Independence Street, Superior Street).

"Wheaton Woods, Plat 20"; plat number 5453, filed February 2, 1959 (Federal Court, Federal Street, parts of Elizabeth Street, Grenoble Drive, Hallet Street, Independence Street, Superior Street).

"Wheaton Woods, Plat 23"; plat number 5489, filing date illegible (parts of Aspen Hill Road, Frankfort Drive, Landgreen Street).

"Wheaton Woods, Plat 22"; plat number 5490, filing date illegible (Tangier Place, parts of Judith Street, Keating Street, Parkland Drive).

"Wheaton Woods, Plat 21"; plat number 5491, filing date illegible, date on plat February 1959 (parts of Federal Street, Grenoble Drive, Hallet Street, Parkland Drive, Superior Street).

"Wheaton Woods, Plat 24"; plat number 5530, filing date illegible, date on plat April 1959 (parts of Aspen Hill Road, Frankfort Drive, Landgreen Street). Shows "Parcel A" as well as other lots.

"Wheaton Woods, Plat 26"; plat number 5562, filing date illegible, date on plat April 1959 (parts of Aspen Hill Road, Grenoble Drive, Judith Street, Keating Street, Parkland Drive, Tangier Place, Vandalia Drive).

"Wheaton Woods, Plat 25"; plat number 5564, filing date illegible, date on plat April 1959 (Marionet Street, parts of Frankfort Drive, Landgreen Street, Parkland Drive). Shows, but does not label, end of 41st/beginning of 42nd line of Bradford's Rest. Adjoins and shows bounds with English Manor subdivision. Shows bounds with Vitro Corporation.

"Wheaton Woods, Plat 27"; plat number 5591, filed June 1, 1959 (Joplin Drive, parts of Judith Street, Turkey Branch Parkway, Vandalia Drive). Shows bounds with Brookhaven subdivision.

"Wheaton Woods, Plat 28"; plat number 5614, filing date illegible, date on plat May 1959 (parts of Aspen Hill Road, Grenoble Drive, Turkey Branch Parkway, Vandalia Drive). Shows location of contemporary Aspen Hill Road as "existing road".

"Wheaton Woods, Plat 29"; plat number illegible, filing date illegible (parts of Aspen Hill Road, Frankfort Drive, Landgreen Street). Subdivision of "Parcel A".

"Wheaton Woods, Abandonment Plat, part of Aspen Hill Road"; plat number 5792, filing date illegible, date on plat April, 1959 (parts of Aspen Hill Road, Frankfort Drive, Grenoble Drive). Shows location of former Aspen Hill Road, new course of Aspen Hill Road. Notes resolution for abandonment by Montgomery County Council, resolution 4-1060, Novenber 24, 1959.

"Wheaton Woods, Plat 30"; plat number illegible, filing date illegible, date on plat December 1959 (parts of Aspen Hill Road, Frankfort Drive, Grenoble Drive). Shows lots along new alignment of Aspen Hill Road.

"Wheaton Woods, Plat 31"; plat number 6167, filing date illegible, date on plat December 1960 (part of Frankfort Court).

"Wheaton Woods, Plat 33"; plat number illegible, filed May 2, 1961 (parts of Aspen Hill Road, Athania Street, Connecticut Avenue, Turkey Branch Parkway, Wendy Lane). Shows location of various landmarks of boundaries, location of phase 1 of future Aspen Hill Shopping Center.

"Wheaton Woods, Plat 34"; plat number 6713, filing date illegible (parts of Aspen Hill Road, Frankfort Drive, Grenoble Drive, Landgreen Street). Re-subdivision, "Parcel A" and adjoining lots.

"Wheaton Woods, Lots 9 & 10, Block 47"; plat number 6787, filing date illegible, date on plat September 1962 (parts of Chelmsford Road, Oakvale Street). Shows bounds with English Manor subdivision.

"Wheaton Woods, Parcel B, Block 50"; plat number illegible, filed April 10, 1969 (parts of Aspen Hill Road, Athania Street, Connecticut Avenue). Shows phase 2 of Aspen Hill Shopping Center. Shows adjoining and adjacent properties.

"Wheaton Woods, Parcel C, Block 50"; plat number illegible, filing date illegible, date on plat June 1974 (parts of Athania Street, Connecticut Avenue, Palmira Lane, Wendy Lane). Shows phase 3 of Aspen Hill Shopping Center. Notes entrance to southern end of shopping center, opposite the junction of Connecticut Avenue and Independence Street, as Palmira Lane.

"Wheaton Woods, Parcel D, Block 50"; plat number illegible, filing date illegible, date on plat October 1987 (parts of Aspen Hill Road, Athania Street, Connecticut Avenue, Palmira Lane, Wendy Lane). Re-subdivision and declaration of utility rights-of-way, etc.

"Wheaton Woods, Plat 35"; plat number 12547, filed July 11, 1979 (parts of Grenoble Drive, Iris Place, Keating Street). Re-subdivision after right-of-way abandonment resolution number 9-19 of date January 2, 1979.

"Street Dedication, Aspen Hill Road"; plat number 3826, filed October 13, 1954 (parts of Aspen Hill Road, Marianna Drive). Street dedication plat. Shows contemporary Aspen Hill Road. Shows 1st, 2nd line, Folio 1021, liber 74. Shows 3rd, 4th, 5th lines Liber 382, folio 124 (on "West line of Hermitage"). Shows part of Bauer Tract as Liber 827, folio 133. Shows adjoining area "dedicated to public use" by Resno Corporation by Liber 1908, folio 306. Shows bounds with Aspen Knolls subdivision.

"Wheaton Woods, Lot 41, Block 16, Resubdivision of Lots 18-27"; plat number 22473, filed February 12, 2003 (parts of Grenoble Drive, Hallet Street, Parkland Drive). Subdivision of the grounds of the Millian Memorial United Methodist Church into ten lots.

Pages in category "Subdivision, Wheaton Woods"

The following 9 pages are in this category, out of 9 total.