Bradford's Rest

From Aspen Hill, Maryland, USA
Jump to: navigation, search

Bradford's Rest (Montgomery Land Office Uncertified Patent 38) was a parcel of some 4992 acres, some of which is now known as Aspen Hill, Maryland.

Location

Deed Description

Bradford's Rest Diminished

(A note on the transcription: the preamble is essentially as written, but the Lines of the tract contain conversion from perches to feet and the worded numbers changed to numerals. The lines have been numbered as well, which features were not in the original document, and the line numbers of the original tract are enclosed in curly-brackets.)

By virtue of a Special Warrant, granted out of the Land Office for the Western Shore of this State, bearing Date the 7th of September 1784, unto George Plater, Esq., of Saint Mary's County, to resurvey a Tract or Parcel of Land, called Bradford's Rest, lying and being in the Montgomery County originally on the 13th day of May, 1728. Grantee Major John Bradford for 4992 acres, to amend all Errors, and to add the Contiguous Vacancy.

I certify as Surveyor for the County aforesaid, that I have Carefully Resurveyed, for and in the name of him, the said George Plater Esq., the aforesaid Land, Called Bradford's Rest, and find that it Runs into an Elder Tract or Parcel of Land, Called Hermitage (which I have carefully Surveyed, originally on the ___ day of ___ Granted ___ for ___ acres, and looses Eight Hundred and Twenty Acres in it, and Contains but Four Thousand and two Hundred and Forty Eight Acres Clear of the Elder Survey, which is Seven Hundred and Forty Four Acres less than it was granted for -- I have added in no Vacancy, But Reduced the Tract as it appears by the Plat below.

1 {8}. Beginning for the outlines thereof, by Virtue of the before mentioned Warrant, at a Stone planted at the end of 60.5 perches (998.25 feet) on the 8th line of the original, it being where the West and last line of Hermitage intersects the aforesaid line, and running thence with the said 8th line, North North West 61.5 perches (1014.75 feet) to the end of the said line.

2 {9}. Still by and with the original, North 13 degrees East, 30 perches (495 feet)

3 {10}. Northwest 120 perches (1980 feet)

4 {11}. North 5 degrees West, 248 perches (4092 feet)

5 {12}. North 20 degrees East, 72 perches (1188 feet)

6 {13}. South 70 degrees East, 88 perches (1452 feet)

7 {14}. North 35 degrees East, 440 perches (7260 feet)

8 {15}. North 30 degrees West, 52 perches (841.5 feet)

9 {16}. North 40 degrees East, 120 perches (1980 feet)

10 {17}. North 40 perches (660 feet) to a Stone Planted at the end of the 17th line of the original, and within 3 feet of a small White Oak, marked on the side next the stone with 17 notches.

11 {18}. Still by and with the original, North 60 degrees East, 88 perches (1452 feet) to a Stone Planted at the end of the 18th line, then

12 {19}. East 150 perches (2475 feet) to a Stone Planted at the end of the 19th line of the original Standing within 4 feet of a Chestnut Tree marked with 19 notches

13 {20}. Still by and with the original, North East 94 perches (1551 feet) to another Stone, then

14 {21}. East 60 perches (990 feet) to another Stone, then

15 {22}. South, 110 perches (1815 feet)

16 {23}. East, 88 perches (1452 feet)

17 {24}. South 35 degrees East, 236 perches (3894 feet)

18 {25}. South 70 degrees East, 168 perches (2772 feet)

19 {26}. South 20 degrees West, 60 perches (990 feet)

20 {27}. South 60 degrees West, 210 perches (3465 feet)

21 {28}. Northwest 60 perches (990 feet) to another Stone planted at the end of the 28th line.

22 {29}. Then by and with the original, South 60 degrees West, 117 perches (1930.5 feet)

23 {30}. South 25 degrees East, 100 perches (1650 feet)

24 {31}. South 50 degrees East, 140 perches (2310 feet)

25 {32}. South, 100 perches (1650 feet)

26 {33}. South 30 degrees East, 40 perches (660 feet)

27 {34}. West, 20 perches (330 feet)

28 {35}. South 55 degrees West, 60 perches (990 feet)

29 {36}. Northwest, 48 perches (792 feet)

30 {37}. West, 100 perches (1650 feet)

31 {38}. North 60 degrees West, 140 perches (2310 feet)

32 {39}. South 72 degrees West, 100 perches (1650 feet)

33 {40}. South 25 degrees West, 160 perches (2640 feet)

34 {41}. Southeast, 72 perches (1188 feet)

35 {42}. South 30 degrees East 78 perches (1287 feet) to the last line of Hermitage, it being a West line,

30 {43}. Then with a straight line to the first Beginning.

Containing and now laid out for 4248 Acres, to be held by the name of Bradford's Rest Diminished, resurveyed the 10th day of May 1785. -Archibald Orme.

Confined as follows Viz.:

From the 1st to the 7th by Milly's Dislike, to the 19 by the Resurvey on Bachelors Forest, to the 21st by Joseph Beall's Land, to the 25th by Jeremiah Beall's, to the 32 by Widow Beall's, to the given line by John Wilcoxen's, and the given line by Hermitage.

Southern Bound

Bradford's Rest shares a boundary with "Hermitage", the large "patented tract" of land to the south. This boundary runs very nearly east-to-west more or less along the line followed by the northern curb of the modern Aspen Hill Road immediately south of the Aspen Hill Library. This "west line of Hermitage" may be seen in aerial and satellite maps as extending to the east of Georgia Avenue, as the boundary between the Gate of Heaven Cemetery to the north and the Aspen Manor Shopping Center to the south.

Eastern Bounds

"42nd Line of Bradford's Rest"

Many deeds refer to the 42nd line of Bradford's Rest. That appears to be the first line-segment north of the common bound of Bradford's Rest and the Hermitage tract to the south. Thus, that 42nd line would describe the southeast corner of Bradford's Rest.

This "42nd line" has a southern terminus in the parking lot of 4110 Aspen Hill Road, and the northern terminus is more or less at a pile of rocks at the northwest corner of the parking lot of Home Depot.

Here is an image of the concrete monument that marked the end of the 42nd line of Bradford's Rest, as seen from approximately the original location in the parking lot of 4110 Aspen Hill Road. Across Aspen Hill Road is the concrete marker, and the line of sight in this image is northward along the 42nd line.

Perhaps you would like to see a Google MAP entry?

P9210036.png

See also Maryland Land Records EBP3 at folio 56 to 57, describing the so-called "Cassell Tract".

"41st Line of Bradford's Rest"

The 41st line ends at the northwestern corner of the fence around the Home Depot lot, or at the southwestern end of the fence line of the houses on the south side of Southend Road.

It begins at a marker stone (which may have been removed, inviting a biblical curse {'Deuteronomy 27:17' Cursed is the man who moves his neighbor's boundary stone}) between Parkland Court and Heathfield Court.

"40th line of Bradford's Rest"

The 40th line ends as noted above as the beginning of the 41st line.

It begins a bit northeast. of the intersection of Bel Pre Road/Bonifant Road and Chesterfield Road.

MAPS

Please see a MAP of the area, which is not yet totally verified.

History

From The History Of Montgomery County, Maryland, From Its Earliest Settlement In 1650 to 1879 (Boyd, T. H. S.)

...north of Hermitage, and east of Rock Creek, is found
Bradford's Rest. granted to Major John Bradford, 
June 3rd, 1713, comprising two thousand six hundred and 
fifty-eight acres. Adjacent, and on the west, lies the
Addition to Bradford's Rest, granted to 
Major John Bradford, September 20th, 1715, for 
five hundred and eighty-four acres. And again, 
the same lands re-surveyed, with lands added, and called
Bradford's Rest, for Major John Bradford, June 10th, 1718, 
containing four thousand eight hundred and ninety-two acres. 
This tract extends up Rock Creek, north, as far as 
William E. Muncaster's farm, and east, as far as the 
late Roger Brooke's farm. The road from Rockville to Baltimore runs 
through the grant, from William S. Brooke's farm to 
Granville Stabler's farm, three and one-half miles; 
and the Brookville and Washington Turnpike runs through it 
from near Higgins' Tavern nearly to the Ranies' store, 
The lands embrace many elegant farms, including those of 
Philip Riley, Charles Abert, the late Roger Brooke, 
A. R. Wadsworth, William S. Brooke, Hon. Allen Bowie Davis, 
A. H. Herr, and others. 


A special warrant was granted by the Land Office for the Western Shore, September 7, 1784, to one George Plater of St Mary's County, for a grant originally of May 13, 1728, to one Major John Bradford. The surveyor discovered that "...it Runs into an Elder Tract, or Parcel of Land, Called Hermitage..."

Bradford's Rest lies directly to the north of the Hermitage, and their common bound runs almost exactly east and west. See also a map "Bradford's Rest Diminished" in which it is shown that some 820 acres are "foul in Hermitage", or claimed in another existing tract.

An interesting deed describing a property with bounds from both the Hermitage and from Bradford's Rest is in liber JLB 184 folio 162 of the Montgomery County Land Records, from Nicholas M and Mrs Bettie M Howes to George H Earle Jr, dated October 17, 1905, referencing liber 24 at folio 451. Equally interesting, though perhaps a bit outside of the bounds of Aspen Hill proper, a deed beginning a liber JLB 184 folio 163, where Mr Earle acquires a large tract of land from Bradford's Rest of property formerly belonging to Charles Abert.