Bauer Tract

From Aspen Hill, Maryland, USA
Jump to: navigation, search

The Bauer Tract is a part of the Bradford's Rest tract. In the modern day, it is seen as the lot of the Aspen Hill Library and points north, including the lots along Bauer Drive north of Renn Street in the Brookhaven subdivision sections between the Aspen Knolls subdivision and the northern parts of the Wheaton Woods subdivision.

Location

In the modern-day Aspen Hill, the southwest corner of the Bauer tract is the southwest corner of the lot of the Wheaton Woods Pool. The southeast corner was the southeast corner of the lot of the Aspen Hill Library.

Perhaps you would like to see a MAP?


Working from the plat map for that end of Aspen Knolls, the northwest corner would be at the northwest corner of the third lot (inclusive) past the NW corner of Oakvale Street and Chadwick Lane, and the northeast corner would be the northeast corner of the third house (inclusive) past the NE corner of Oakvale Street and Chadwick Lane.

In the modern day, the eastern bound may still be seen as the fence line between lots on the west side of Parkland Drive and any lots farther west. The western bound is more difficult to find, but generally it is the western fence line between lots on the west side of Marianna Drive, between Marianna Drive and Bardot Street, and along that line extended.

The southern bound was Aspen Hill Road, which in this area is the southern bound of the Bradford's Rest tract and the northern bound of the Hermitage Tract.

In 1866, this was a part of the larger Cassell Tract.

To the west was the Earle Tract I (Bradford's Rest).

Deed Description

From liber 182, folio 246, June 9. 1905:

1. Beginning at the end of the sixth line of {Cassell's Land}, thence, South 27 and 1/2 degrees West 233.3 perches (3849.4 feet) to a stake on the north side of the new road from Veirs's Mill to the Washington and Brookeville Turnpike; then

3. With the north side of the same {road}, South 87 and 3/4 degrees East, 67 perches (1105.5 feet) to a stake;

4. North 13 and 1/4 degrees East, 213.6 perches (3524.4 feet) to a stake and pile of stones on the sixth outline heretofore mentioned {(Cassell's land)}; then

5. With said line, North 71 and 3/4 degrees West, 8.7 perches (143.5), to the beginning.

Containing some 49.39 acres, "more or less".

History

The tract of land was is part of the original Bradford's Rest land grant. Subsequently it passed through the hands of many owners:

(Originally a part of: John H Barthold et ux to John Cassell et ux (liber 3, folios 56 and C, February 6, 1866))

  • William G Eimer to Christian G Hurlebaus (liber 182, folio 246, June 9. 1905) (contains legal description of parcel)
  • Carl C Braun and Mrs Frieda R Braun to Christian G Hurlebaus & Louise B Hurlebaus (liber PBR 382, folio 124, August 12, 1925). Also refers to liber 184 folio 427, June 4, 1906 transferring from Carl Birkle to William C Dwyer; also refers to liber 264 folio 207, of June 14, 1917, transferring from Martha M Dwyer to Carl C Braun and wife.
  • Charles Otto Hurlebaus to Clarence W Bauer et ux (liber 827, folio 133, May 2, 1941)
  • Clarence W Bauer and wife Gretchen L Bauer to James H Austin III and wife Mary T Austin (liber 1021, folio 74, June 4, 1946) for 49.39 acres.
  • James H Austin III and wife Mary T Austin to Resno Corporation (liber 1908, folio 306, April 13, 1954) for 49.39 acres.


See an interesting grant of rights-of-way and drainage rights to Montgomery County are at CKW 2786 folio 454-455.